Sunday, September 16, 2012

And with the morn those angel faces smile, which I have loved long since and lost awhile

Glenwood cemetery Downtown Houston - Beloved Immortals - Angel
 I was in downtown Houston the other morning and I had some time to kill so I stopped by Glenwood cemetery. It has got to be the biggest cemetery in the Houston metropolitan area, for sure the biggest I've ever seen in person. I spent about two hours just walking around and marveling at the place. It has a large staff of grounds keepers that keep it looking immaculate. And quite a few of Houston's historical figures are buried here, including the business magnate, investor, aviator, aerospace engineer, film maker and philanthropist; Howard Hughes. There is a plethora of amazing monuments there, including many statues of angels. I particularly like the angels because they remind me of a certain Doctor Who monster; the Weeping Angels, very creepy...






Glenwood cemetery Downtown Houston - Bronze girl - NW
The blog title quote is by John Henry Newman; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment