Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Winged Victory of Samothrace



Back from a bit of a break from blogging, decided to put it aside while I focused on school. 

I recently dropped my old iPhone 3G for the thousandth time and finally cracked the screen so I picked up a new SIII. I was going through the old photos on there and doing some interesting but simple editing in Picasa. 

This is a mobile shot I took of the Winged Victory of Samothracealso referred to as Nike of Samothrace, at the Louvre Museum in Paris, France. 

It is a 2nd century BC marble sculpture of the Greek goddess Nike (Victory). Since 1884, it has been prominently displayed at the Louvre. 

The Nike of Samothrace, discovered in 1863 on the island of Samothrace (in Greek, Σαμοθρακη — Samothraki), is estimated to have been created around 190 BC. It was created to not only honor the goddess, Nike, but to honor a sea battle. It conveys a sense of action and triumph as well as portraying artful flowing drapery through its features which the Greeks considered ideal beauty. 

The sculptor is unknown.



No comments:

Post a Comment